The bacterium Clostridium Botulinum toxin is very harmful to humans because it causes botulism, a disease that paralyzes the muscles. However, that same toxin has a wide field application in cosmetics and beauty: Botulinum Toxin, which we know by the name of a famous brand: “Botox”. We will tell you how it´s used.
Table of Contents
Botulinum toxin effect
As we already mentioned, botulinum toxin causes muscle paralysis. Once purified, manufacturers dilute the toxin thousands of times to obtain a product with infinitesimal amounts of the toxin to make it safe to use. A single unpurified toxin gram provides enough medication to treat 25 medical conditions worldwide.
Botulinum toxin is always applied as an injection, which can be under the skin (subcutaneous) or inside the muscles (intramuscular) and its application requires a lot of experience and perfect calibration to make it safe.
The Federal Drugs and Administration approves the botulinum toxin use in order to treat the following conditions in adults:
- Bladder function disorders such as overactive bladder or overactivity of the bladder detrusor.
- Migraines or chronic headaches.
- Upper limbs Spasticity, that is, painful and uncontrolled contractions in the arms, hands and forearms muscles.
- Cervical dystonia, that is, torticollis.
- Axillary hyperhidrosis, that is, bad smell in the armpits due to extreme sweating.
- Eyelids involuntary spasms or contractions.
- Chewing and swallowing problems in the muscles.
- Drooling when sleeping.
- Muscle spasms in the pelvis.
- Muscle contractions after a stroke.
- Benign prostate growth
- Headaches from sinusitis.
- Balance problems derived from otitis.
- Uterine muscle contractions
- Psoriasis and some types of eczema
Botox cosmetic uses
- Hide wrinkles between the eyebrows, or frown lines.
- Wrinkles around the eyes, known as crow’s feet.
- Horizontal wrinkles on the forehead
- Lines at the corners of the lips
- Improve hair appearance
- Combat alopecia effects
How long does the effect last?
After injection, the botulinum toxin effect begins immediately, but reaches its full potential about two weeks later, and lasts for three to six months. Once the effect passes, the skin returns to its natural state and the injection should be repeated as the effect is not permanent.
Botox rarely causes side effects beyond muscle paralysis at the injection site. However, it is essential to go to a professional for treatment, so that all the benefits are obtained.
If you are looking for a Botox application specialist or a specific plastic surgery in Tijuana, you will find it at Newcity Med. Browse our website or contact us for more information, we will gladly assist you.